Finding a good fish taco is like trying to find your keys. They are out there somewhere but it takes a little bit of searching. I made these with James Beard award winning cookbook author Cynthia Graubart at one of her cooking classes. The following day I had a craving for them and made them at home. Super simple doesn’t even begin to explain these tacos. The deconstructed tacos keep fresh for the following days in the refrigerator.
I think that these would be a nice tapas or small plate addition to your next get together or dinner. Make as much as you would like ahead of time taking care not to cut the avocados until prior to serving as they will brown.
Serves 4, about 3 each
- 1 small cabbage (Red/Purple is great for color), shredded
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced, optional
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Sugar to taste, optional
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8-1/4 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- 1-1 1/2 lbs snapper, sole, tilapia, rockfish, or catfish
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 12 small tortillas (small corn tortillas are delicious with this)
- Sliced Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- To prepare the slaw- place shredded cabbage in a bowl with 1/2 tsp of salt. Massage and begin wringing out liquid; place in strainer for 15 minutes to drain
- Squeeze cabbage again handfuls at a time, transferring to mixing bowl. Add carrot, onions, jalapeno (if using), toss to combine. In another bowl, add garlic, lime, mayo. Whisk together and add sweetener, salt, pepper, to taste. Pour over cabbage mix and combine.
- For fish, combine flour, salt, pepper, and paprika/chipotle to shallow dish. Pat fish dry then dredge through flour mixture.
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium high heat until oil is shimmery. Add fish and cook 2-3 minutes per side; flip only once until golden brown and fish is opaque flaking easily. Transfer to plate and flake to large chunks.
- Assemble tacos by placing a spoonful of slaw in the center followed by fish, cilantro, sliced avocado, and lime wedges.