Just got invited to a dinner party? Having people over tonight? Just want to knock the tastebuds off of your guests?
Caprese salads are delicious, fresh, and full of flavor. This will take you minimal time in the kitchen, travels well (choose to add the oil and vinegar before or when you get there), and is no bake! Hooray!
There is no right way to skewer your ingredients; you can cut the tomatoes in half, the mozzarella in thirds, leave them whole, cut the basil into ribbons and garnish, etc. etc. This recipe is just a guide to get you started on your quest for bite sized greatness.
- Grape Tomatoes, red and yellow
- Mini Mozzarella Balls
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar (your choice, I like fig)
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Kosher Salt and fresh ground Pepper
- Cut or leave whole your tomatoes and mozzarella, skewer the tomatoes and mozzarella alternating fitting about 4 total on the skewer
- Roll the basil leaves tight (like a cigarette) and cut thin ribbons
- Either mix 1/4 c of olive oil with 2-4 tbsp of vinegar and pour over the skewers or pour separately to lightly coat
- Garnish lightly with salt, pepper, and basil
Mozzarella outside of the water that it comes in will begin to dry and form a shell on the outside. It is not recommended to make these a day in advance to ensure freshness.