It’s cold out there and I ate way too much for Thanksgiving. This 30 minute or less soup packs flavor without the extra calories. Adding extra mushrooms or corn, like I did, gives an extra heartiness to this great dish by Damn Delicious.
I am a huge fan of soups but mostly because they come with crusty bread. It isn’t in the list of ingredients, so don’t forget to add it to yours when you are shopping for these items!
SPINACH AND WHITE BEAN SOUP
A healthy and hearty, comforting soup – chock full of fresh spinach, white beans and orzo pasta – made in less than 30 min!
YIELD: 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in thyme and basil until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in vegetable stock, bay leaves and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo; reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cannellini beans until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and parsley; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.